How to apply for a Grant
Before applying to the Development Grants Board for funding, think about these questions:
- What do you want a grant for? How will it benefit local Scouting?
- Is the activity or item you are applying for likely to be approved by the Development Grants Board? (See the lists of what the DGB will and won’t fund if you aren’t sure)
- If your application is for a specific event, will the application be received at least 4 weeks before the event?
- Have you included the date of the event on your application form?
- Are you applying for payments you have already made? (The Development Grants Board does not provide retrospective funding.)
- Have you checked if local funds or other sources are available?
- Are you aware of the Development Grants Board’s reserves policy , and do you meet its requirements?
- Where will additional (matching) funding be found?
- Is the District, County/Area/Region (Scotland) able to assist financially?
Once you have found the answers to these questions please download and complete the Application Form
or use the online version
(Please note that you must complete the online form in one sitting - you are unable to save partially completed forms). To help us deal quickly with your application, please make you sure you have satisfied all of the steps in this checklist.
- Complete the application form as fully as possible according to the guidelines provided
- Only apply for future expenditure (retrospective funding will not be awarded)
- Check that the amount applied for can be match funded
- Allow at least 6 weeks for the application to be processed, particularly if it is for a specific event. Applications MUST be received at least 4 weeks before any event – late applications will not be considered.
- Get the form signed by the relevant people
- Attach a copy of your most recent accounts
- Attach any evidence to support the application
- Keep a signed copy of the form for your own records
- Be ready to provide any additional information if it is requested
Once an application is received you will receive an acknowledgment by email or post from the Development Grants Board Team. If you do not hear from the Development Grants Board Team within a month of submitting your application please contact us to follow up on whether it has been received.
For more information and to download an application form for a Section Start up Grant
please click here
For more the details on how to apply for Intermediate or Large Development Grants please contact the Development Grants Board Team, who will advise you on your application.
Advice on individual ’financial hardship’
A number of the funds we manage support individual members in ‘financial hardship’, something which can be a difficult subject to discuss with young people, parents and leaders. Young people and adults who are carers or are considered ‘looked after children’ (in care) would be eligible.
Evidence that can help you make best judgement of ‘financial hardship’ would be if a family is in receipt of one of the following:
- Free school meals*
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- an income-related employment and support allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs*
- Working tax credit
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
*Free school meals are provided to all pupils in the lower years of primary schools in England and Wales, so the other indicators are more valid in these circumstances.
Advice and Support
For further advice on HQ Funds and Grants, please contact the DGB Grants Team at Gilwell Park
Tel: 020 8433 7100 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For advice on grants for International camps
or Activity training
, please contact the appropriate team:
Tel: 020 8433 7100
International Team: email@example.com
Activities Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information and advice on external grant sources other general fundraising advice, please contact the HQ Fundraising Team
Tel: 020 8433 7100 or Email: email@example.com