DIY Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
- Show how to use and take care of tools safely. Do this for a selection
of them, like a hammer, saw, screwdriver, drill or glue gun.
- Talk to your leader about how to work safely on your projects, especially when you’re using electric tools.
- Learn what the difference is between hard wood, soft wood, chipboard, plywood and MDF. For each of them, find out what they’re best used for.
- Help design and make two items while an adult supervises you. Use them to show that you’re able to:
- measure accurately
- join pieces of wood together in two different ways
- use a hammer, screwdriver and drill
- prepare surfaces and stain, varnish or paint.
Your projects for number 4 might include:
- nesting box
- window box
- pencil box
- key rack
- mug tree
- coat rack
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility