Equestrian Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
- Show that you know how to dress safely for riding. Explain why it’s
important to wear a hard hat and the proper footwear.
- Point out the main body parts of a pony or horse.
- Point out the main parts of a saddle and bridle.
- Learn how to approach a pony or horse correctly.
- Learn how to mount and dismount a horse safely.
- Show the correct way to sit in the saddle.
- Show how to hold the reins correctly.
- Show how to walk and trot safely in an enclosed area, without a leading rein.
- Show you can do two of these skills:
- walking without stirrups
- walking on a loose rein and shortening the reins
- riding up and down a hill at walking pace
- riding over a single pole or very small fence.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility