Activity Centre Service Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
- Help the warden or manager and work for at least five days at a
permanent District, County or National Scout campsite. Alternatively, you can do this work at a similar activity centre.
- Explain and show how to use three items of equipment that you’ve used in your work with the activity centre. Show or talk about how you maintain the equipment.
- Choose four of these to explain and if possible demonstrate:
Talk about developments and improvements you would like to see at a permanent campsite. It could be the one you worked at or another one you know well.
- the use of computers in campsite management
- how to take care of campers’ needs while respecting wildlife
- how to prevent frozen pipes and what to do if an overground pipe
bursts or leaks
- the need for good site drainage and clear ditches
- rubbish disposal and how to recycle materials wherever possible
- the reasons for having clean toilets
- how to unblock a drain
- how to use and maintain equipment for an activity you have become familiar with
- other important tasks that the warden or manager has pointed out.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility