Equestrian Activity Badge
Here’s what you need to do to earn this badge.
Grooming and care
- Show you can catch a pony from a field or stable and tack up for riding.
- Walk, trot and canter a pony.
- Jump over small fences.
- Groom your pony correctly and explain why it is necessary.
- Show you know how to take care of saddlery and other equipment.
- Find out about some of the basic health issues affecting horses and ponies, including worms and laminitis.
- Show you have a basic knowledge of grass management. Show you recognise poisonous plants and the results of overgrazing.
- Talk about road safety for riding.
- Explain why you need a hat, body protector, stirrup and other safety equipment.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility