Media Relations and Marketing Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
Choose from three of these activities to achieve this badge.
- Produce and give a presentation about Scouting. Use audio and visual media and think about how you can make it relevant to people not involved in Scouting.
- Write a press release about a Scout event that has taken place. Send it to your local Media Development Manager so that they can get it published in the local press, radio station or community website.
- Find out about local media outlets such as radio, TV, newspapers and online. Find out what their target audience is and work out a storyline that they might be interested in featuring.
- Prepare and present an audio or video package about a Scouting event or activity. The report should be accurate, informative and reflect the adventure of Scouting.
- Prepare a creative display about your Troop or Group that can be exhibited in your local library, information centre or public place.
- Interview a local public figure or someone in the local news, such as a church leader, politician or celebrity and present the interview to your Troop. Get some advice from your Leader before contacting the person.
- Produce some media which can be used within Scouting, such as a district newsletter story or a piece of website content.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility