Smallholder Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
Choose one of these three options. Then complete all tasks in your chosen option to achieve this badge.
- Learn about farming practices in your area.
- Find out about the organisation and daily and seasonal operations of a farm of your choice. Make a note of practices relating to livestock, crops, cultivation, rotation, machinery and labour force.
- Talk about the changes in farming practices that have taken place recently in your area. Explain the reasons for these.
- Cultivate an area of garden or an allotment for a length of time. Agree
this beforehand with your leadership team.
- Show you’re successful in growing:
Talk to your leader about the work you’ve done and the
- three kinds of hardy annual flower
- three kinds of vegetable
- two kinds of bulbs, herbaceous plants, flowering shrubs or roses.
results you achieved.
Keep any kind of livestock for a length of time. Agree this beforehand with your leadership team. You could:
- look after farm animals or birds, and learn how they should be housed, fed, bred and their economic uses. Show how to handle them safely and learn about animal welfare.
- Manage a hive. Bring in some of the honey you produced.
! An experienced adult will need to oversee the activities.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility