Writer Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
Complete four of these activities. Talk about your choice with an appropriate adult.
- Compose a poem of at least eight lines. Discuss its meaning and construction.
- Create a short story of around 600 words. Talk about your story idea with an appropriate adult beforehand.
- Write a descriptive
passage of around 600 words on a subject, agreed with an appropriate adult
- Write a 600-word review of a favourite book, play or other work of literature and talk about it with an appropriate adult.
- Produce a published article of around 600 words in length. You could contribute to a school, faith, community or Scout magazine or write a letter to a local paper.
- Keep a diary on a subject, for a length of time agreed with an appropriate adult beforehand.
- Write a play or dramatic sketch lasting at least 10 minutes.
- Interview a local celebrity, or other notable person. Write or type out the interview to show the questions you asked and the interviewee’s replies.
- Write a letter to a pen pal (real or imaginary) of at least 600 words.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility