Activity Centre Service Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
- Work for at least five days (on at least two different occasions) at a
Group, District, County, Area or National Scout Activity Centre or campsite, helping the warden or manager however they need you.
- Explain the maintenance needed for essential campsite equipment. Do a demonstration, if possible.
- Explain and, where possible, demonstrate four of the following:
- Make a booking for someone wanting to use the site.
- Show how to restore a camping area after use, including sowing grass.
- Show how you prevent pipes freezing during the winter and what steps to take when pipes burst.
- The importance of having clean toilets.
- Chemicals – what to use and how to use them safely.
- How to unblock a drain and prevent further blockages.
- The need for good site drainage and keeping ditches clear.
- How to dispose of refuse and use an effective recycling system.
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility.