Welcome to #YouShape month!
Following the success of #YouShape 2016, where over 20,000 young people and volunteers got involved, this year we're celebrating all things #YouShape for a whole month in February. Youth Shaped Scouting takes place all year round, but we're focussing on February to support young people and volunteers to embed this traditional part of Scouting into what we do, and celebrating the amazing examples of Youth Shaped Scouting already taking place around the country.
Don't forget to keep sharing what you're up to this month using #YouShape on social media, and get your #YouShape badges and wristbands from Scout Shops.What is #YouShape all about?
#YouShape Month is a platform to empower young people to shape their Scouting experience at a local and national level. During #YouShape Month, we're encouraging all sections to run local activities that will help their young people engage on a national level.
Youth Shaped Scouting isn't a new concept; empowering young people to decide, design and implement their own Programme and experiences is already happening around the country. #YouShape month allows us to ensure that this continues and is embedded in every level of the Movement.What are we looking to achieve nationally?
- Raise the profile and understanding of Youth Shaped Scouting across the organisation. We have set a target of having 50,000 people across 80% of Districts taking part in some way.
- Increase the quality and quantity of sectional Youth Shaped Scouting, through Patrol Leader's forums and Sixers meetings for instance, where young people get to express their ideas and gain more leadership opportunities.
- Get Youth Comissioners working collaboratively with their Districts/Counties to embed Youth Shaped Scouting into the following key areas: Programme, Leadership, Management and Governance.
- Work in partnership to shape the future aspirations of The Scout Association.
Consider what your District/County hopes to achieve. The success of Youth Shaped Scouting, both during February and beyond, partly relies on Youth Commissioners working together in Districts, Counties and Regions to plan, delegate and take action.
What could take place locally during #YouShape month?
- A Patrol Leader's camp for volunteers and Patrol Leaders to work together, including training on how to run a successful Troop forum.
- County/District Youth Forum on tour: a team of young people could visit a number of sections and support the leaders to host their own more local Forums.
- Executive training on Youth Shaped Scouting.
- The planning of a Youth Shaped camp for your section: design the Programme in week one, pack and prepare in week two, go on camp in week three and review and reflect in week four.
- Hosting a regional #YouShape event at a campsite or activity centre and engage with young people and volunteers.
- Working with Assistant District and County Commissioners to plan Programme support days and evenings to enable leaders to find out more about running a Youth Shaped Section.
Click here for last year's resources.