Photographer Activity Badge
How to earn your badge
- Show that you know how to use and look after your digital camera. Show how to turn it on and off, use the zoom function, charge or replace the batteries, insert a memory card and transfer pictures from the camera to a computer or tablet.
- Take at least five photographs of local landmarks that could be used to make a tourist leaflet.
- Take photos while you’re on a visit, Pack outing or camp. Present 10 of your best pictures to someone else after the event. You could present them in a scrapbook, on a screen, in a photo book or some other way.
- Choose one of these activities to do:
- Take two pictures of the same thing – one in colour and one in black and white. Compare how the effects change the way the final picture looks.
- Using a digital camera, make a short film on a subject of your choice.
- Using a series of photographs, make a short animation sequence.
- Take a photo of people, animals, an urban scene or a landscape. Think about the light, the positioning and setting of your photo. Explain why you composed your photo in the way that you did.
A number of tools can be used to make a short film or animation sequence:
- Windows Movie Maker
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- iStopMotion for iPads
- iMovie for Mac and iOS
Each young person who participates in the Programme, including badges and awards, should face a similar degree of challenge, and requirements can be adapted according to each young person’s abilities. For more information and practical tips see our guidance on flexibility